Wednesday, March 10, 2010

tools, tools, tools

So, I was at Home Depot yesterday, I seem to be at Home Depot almost every day, and I was drooling over a couple tools I would like to buy. Tools are funny. It's kind of like guns for guys. I'm not a hunter, and I can't say I'm much for shooting animals in general, but I still have a fascination with guns. I don't own any but if anyone invites me to go shooting I almost always go.

Tools are the same way. I use them for my work, but even if I didn't I'm sure I'd be just as interested. Seeing a wall of power tools makes my heart skip a beat. I'm not quite sure why. They are just so shiny and brightly colored, like kids' toys. Is it the potential projects you could use these tools for that draws us to them, or is it the fascination with the tools themselves and how they work? I don't know.

Even if you aren't in the trades as your main source of employment, just about everyone I know owns the following few tools: a drill, a saw of some sort, and basic hand tools (hammer, screwdriver, etc.). This is a basic collection. Some guys I know get carried away and buy tools that they will rarely if ever use or tools that they simply do not need but were just on sale. They are collectors. I also know guys whose wives are not fully aware of the extent of such a collection.

So, back to me in Home Depot. As, I was walking the aisles it struck me that if I were such a guy, and wanted to buy a tool on the sly without alerting my wife that I was buying such a luxury I could disguise my purchase because many of these tools sound like other things, parts of a truck for instance. So, I started a list. Here are some tools that, if you were so inclined, you might be able to purchase without alerting your spouse. However, after a while she might get suspicious over how many repairs your vehicle is undergoing, especially since you rarely work on it. Anyway, the list:


impact driver
compressor
air hose
powder actuated driver
Rotozip
Dremel (might not work, sort of well known)
router (could also be used as a computer term)
planer

That's all I have so far.

As a side note I would like to say I have a very patient and understanding wife, who is surprisingly strong for her size, and that I would not for a second entertain the idea of ever trying to slip something past her.

2 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger Alex said...

I don't have a drill. I use to, but it sucked. I have a saw in my Swiss army knife. I should probably get a drill sometime, but I have other more techie things to buy first.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Kaz said...

I will get you a drill for your birthday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home