Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Our new house

Well, we are officially homeowners as of a week ago. So, now we are staying in Boise for sure. Shelley's new job is going great, and with the new house I have tons of fun little projects to keep me busy. For pics of the new house click here. My Dad is in a few of the pictures you'll notice. He came to visit for 5 days and really helped get the ball rolling on the bathroom remodel and painting. He got Shelley's office painted and ready for her to move in, and did the preliminary demo on the hall bath. It was really nice to have the extra pair of hands for that first week. We got the keys to the house on Friday the 30th and Dad flew in on the 31st.


So, here's a little info about the house. Our house is located on the west side of Boise, so we're just out of the busy areas of the city, but close enough to downtown to make a quick drive of it. The house itself is just under 1500 sq ft. and sits on .25 acres. The home was built in the late 60s and has the feel of a southwest coast home (low pitched roof, open floor plan). The other nice thing about the age of the house is that it is young enough to avoid the problems that can arise with much older home (foundation and structural issues), but old enough that the neighborhood feels really established and settled. The trees are all mature and the houses have a lot of character.

We actually didn't take very long to find the house. Overall we looked at around 30 houses in the first week of searching. This house was the only one we walked into and both of us liked. After bidding back and forth we had a deal by the end of the second week. The previous homeowners were due to go into foreclosure in June so we had to rush closing as well. So, from starting to look at houses, to closing on our house it was only 3 weeks!

Right now our lease on our apartment goes through July. This is kind of good because both of the bathrooms need remodeling. So, that gives me enough time to gut the hall bath, and remodel it before we actually have to move in. That will give us a fully remodeled bathroom to enjoy and when we're ready I'll start on the master bath. Also, because of the age of the house and the fact that the previous homeowners let some things slide there are a lot of little fix-it projects to work on. For me this is great. When we started looking I was really hoping to find a house that I could start customizing to fit our needs right away, and because this one needs some modification anyway I can get into it immediately. The downside is that I can't do some of the things I was looking forward to this year. I was hoping to start a garden in the early summer, but with all the work that needs to be done it'll probably have to wait until next year. Oh well, my friend Ty planted his first garden this year and didn't really realize how much produce he would end up with, so we won't be hurting for fresh veggies this summer at least.

Anyway, that's the big news for now. Now that things are starting to calm down for us we've both decided to try to be better bloggers. We've sort of let the blog slide, especially me. We'll be better! I promise!

Check out the pictures!

-kaz

3 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Looks awesome. Congrats. I can't wait to come out and see it. Maybe even help out a bit.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Kaz said...

thanks. we should hook up in July again. when your room is ready :)

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks cool guys. I can't believe your going to stay in Idaho. I guess that just gives me an excuse to travel to another state.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home